Here at Taskpower, we have NZ's largest range of log splitters, including both tractor powered and motorised machines. Many customers considering buying a log splitter, own a tractor, so often consider both options.
There are pros and cons both ways! Here's some information to get you thinking.
Tractor Log Splitters
- Generally get better value for money, as you aren't paying for an engine
- Quieter, as you have a large diesel ticking away as opposed to a small stationary engine revving its heart out
- Can be lowered to the ground allowing you to roll big logs on
- If your property has hard-to-access areas, the tractor may be able to access these areas easier
- More reliable - one less engine to worry about!
- Many people are using the tractor with a grapple anyway when splitting wood, so it makes sense to have the splitter on the back
- We offer the awesome Split-Fire machines, such as the 3203 and 3403 - which split both ways - giving you the ability to split both ways and very productively, without spending a whole lot of money
- Harder to steal and borrow! 😉😉
- Tends to have better resale value as there is simply less to go wrong
- You can only use on the tractor, so if you sell the tractor in the future, you may be stuck
- Takes time to mount to the tractor, not as versatile as a motorized machine which can be towed by anything
Motorised Log Splitters
- Very versatile
- Larger range to choose from
- Doesn't tie up the tractor
- Can be hired out and used by other family members more easily
- Range of accessories available to customize to your needs
- Tend to be more expensive for what you get - although the Wood-King machines are very good value for money
- Higher-end machines are much more expensive than tractor powered units
Whichever option you choose, there are a number of other factors to consider, including health & safety - whether other staff will be using the splitter, your budget, your long-term goals, and what types of wood you're splitting.
We're here to help - so please contact us if you have any questions!